Shabby Miss Jenn

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hot Dog Game

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Today went so well! I am amazed at how some extra sensory input could really make a big difference for him. The other thing I worked on was having complete patience with him. I didn't rush him, I didn't get frustrated, I just loved him. It was a wonderful feeling and one that we both needed! When we went to Wal-mart, there was a firetruck parked outside. Rather than rushing him into the store and barely noticing his excitement, I took the time to walk him over to it and let him touch it. He was in heaven! We talked about what it felt like and looked like and then he was ready to go on in the store. Everytime something caught his attention, I let him touch it and talk about. Yes, it made the trip a little longer, but we made it through without a single episode of him running away and without any melt downs. I don't know if that has ever happened!

When he came home from school, we played the hot dog game with him. I had explained to the older kids, while Sam was in school, what sensory disorders are and how we can help Sam. I told them all about the hot dog game (I got the idea from the book the teacher lent me yesterday) and everyone was so excited! I have to say, this is a fabulous game for ANY child, not just one with a sensory disorder. After we finished with Sam, Abby and Livvy had to take their turns and it worked into 30 minutes of great fun for all! It was such a difference from the fits and fighting and other things we have endured.

Here's how to play:

You lay out a sleeping bag and have the child lay on their tummy at one far end. You have them keep their head off the bag. Then you tell them that you need to prepare the hot dog. You can use a big ball to roll over them, but we didn't have one, so we just used our hands (all the kids helped). We told Sam to say "bop" (stop) or "o, o, o" (go) depending on what he wanted. He loved having that control!

After we prepared the hot dog, we applied ketchup. You can use any type of texture item from a washcloth to a brush or anything. We didn't have a lot of tools, so we used our hands and just did a tickling type motion up and down his body. He loved that!

Next, we applied the mustard. For that, I just used my fingers to bounce up and down him. Again, he giggled the whole time. Last, we added the chopped onions. For this, I used a back massager and ran it up and down. He really loved that and didn't say stop for a very long time! In fact, several times, we would ask if he was done and he just said, "go, go, go"! Too cute!

Once we were all done preparing the hot dog, we rolled him and wrapped him up! Then, with him wrapped in the sleeping bag, we moved him back and forth until he said stop. And then we ate him! So fun!

We also played with cars in shaving cream at the table, and they all enjoyed that, as well. It's fun to do these activities, that are meeting a crucial need for Sam, but also fun for the other kids! It was a perfect day! I'm so thankful for these ideas and for this journey. It is rarely easy, but I love how much it has pushed me and made me look deep for answers. I am a big believer in prayer and these challenges have pushed me to my knees more than once! I am grateful that I can pray and find the direction I need. Most times the help comes through other people, countless angels on earth willing to help me, but I have no doubt that ultimately, it all comes from God!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys are finding some peace. Like you, I find if I can slow down and let Coram ask his questions, touch things he needs to explore, take his time to choose, we are all happier. If he has money to spend, I take him to his store of choice and I bring a book - so that I don't have to get bored and impatient while he takes his time to choose. And what I find is sometimes he will look very carefully at everything and decide to save his money. When I used to rush him, he would end up chosing something he wasn't happy with later.

    We do the hot dog - but we call it Sushi ROFL. We make a big Coram sushi roll. We haven't done the shaving cream in a long time, he kinda grew out of it, but it was great for a long time.

    Its the proprioceptive sense that the deep touch is about - the feedback that our joints give us so we know, for example, that our leg is bent and resting on a chair. When that sens is out of whack, people have literally described it as not knowing that they exist anymore. Can you imagine how that might feel? No wonder they act up!

    One deep pressure activity I haven't tried yet but I think would be cool - get a big heavy rope, and park on it so that the car wheels are right on it. Then grab the rope and PUUUUUUULL to see if anyone can get it out from under the car. Great joint pulling :)

    I'm not sure if I missed a post about what changed between the day the teacher said it was just Apraxia and the meeting where you got a book about sensory integration - but whatever happened in between I am really glad for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just awesome to hear Ramona! I'm so glad you are making progress, and not just you and Sam, but the whole family together :)

    ReplyDelete