Shabby Miss Jenn

Monday, January 4, 2010

Whole New Lifestyle



So, as I mentioned in my first post, I have Celiac Disease, as well as two of my children. Therefore, we can't have gluten of any kind. This makes eating very interesting as EVERYTHING seems to have gluten in it! I even found a baking powder that had gluten in it! We've been adjusting to this new way of eating for several years (will be 3 years this summer) but today I finally took the plunge and purged my cupboards, refrigerator and pantry of everything that had gluten in it. It's quite expensive to go all gluten free, so I would allow things in the house for those that didn't have celiac. However, it makes it hard to keep it away from some if others have it. And to be honest, in all my research, it doesn't appear that gluten is all that good for anyone, so even without having celiac, we decided that everyone could go gluten free-at least while we are at home!

Today's picture is of my new cupboard, all organized, with several different kinds of flours and grains (all gluten free of course) and new sweeteners that are also natural. We've decided to move in the direction of a whole foods and partially raw foods diet. This means, that everything is truly from scratch! I even made my first batch of Almond milk today! I was so proud! I bought raw almonds, soaked them and then ground it into milk. It's quite yummy! We are also back on green smoothies, which are one of my favorite things! It's a great way to sneak in veggies, not just for the kiddos but even for me. I put in a few leaves of kale or spinach and then throw in some yummy fruit, almond milk and blend it together! It's great and so full of vitamins! I don't know how excited my older kids are about this new way of eating. I think one of them said he would be a nerd if anyone found out he had to eat like this. Ah, the price we pay! But, with time and no other options, I think they'll come around!

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! Best of luck to you, it sounds like you're really doing well with this! When my daughter was a few months old we discovered a severe allergy to the proteins in milk. Since she was breastfed, and I wasn't willing to wean just so I could continue eating dairy, I went dairy-free. I know what you mean about finding additives in EVERYTHING! The one that shocked us the most was the caramel coloring in a soft drink! Thankfully she outgrew the allergy, but it taught me a lot about food. We favor 'scratch' cooking, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh Ramona!! You are awesome!! I like what you have written abt almond milk and green smoothie. I am now interested in trying out that smoothie. I like doing everything from scratch too.

    ReplyDelete