Shabby Miss Jenn

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Every, Every Minute

As I sit here, ready to write tonight, I struggle finding anything exciting that happened.  Life can be funny that way sometimes.  Lots of big things can happen in a few days that you feel like you can't write it all out.  Then there are days that are just as normal and quiet and well, boring that you even wonder if you have anything worth writing about.  Nothing exciting happened today.  Nothing bad happened today.  It was just a day.

And even though, most who may read this, could care less as to how many diapers I changed or how often I had to sweep the floor, or how quickly I tried to pull a naked Sam off the trampoline before any neighbors wondered what was going on, to me, it was a precious day.  It was a day of normal living.  It was waking up to the sounds of my 10 month old and hurrying to get others awake, breakfast on the table, hair done, shoes found, faces checked as some rush out the door.  It was a day of doing laundry and washing dishes and wiping noses.  It was a day of noise and play and fighting.  It was a day of grocery shopping and music lessons and song practice for the upcoming Easter program.  This is my life and nothing could represent the beauties in it, more than a simple day like today.

When I was in high school, I played the part of Emily in the Thornton Wilder play, "Our Town".  I loved this play!  I even used a monologue from it to audition in college.  My very favorite lines in the play are at the very end.  Emily has just died while in child birth and she gets to go back for just one day.  It was an ordinary day, nothing special about it at all, and yet at the end, she is overwhelmed by the memory and the specialness of it all.

Here, at this point in my life, when I feel that I can barely catch my breath somedays, I find joy and sadness in the every day.  Even the monotony of days goes way too quickly.  And I find myself, tonight, remembering Emily's words at the end of the play, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?--every, every minute"

1 comment:

  1. So precious. I remember my first night in the MTC our Branch President said something that changed my mission and my life to this day. He said "Go to bed tonight with sorrow in your heart, for one more day is gone". Even the ordinary days are so special and so precious. It's one more day that we got to spend being a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend. And we will never have it back. Love yoU!

    ReplyDelete